Friday, September 11, 2009

Even Steven

So I was in this friendship with a guy, I'd known for several years and in all those years the routine was the same. I give, he take, I give he take. So on and so on for almost 20 years. Finally it dawned on me that our friendship wasn't a friendship at all but was in actuality a fauxship pretending to be a friendship. Fauxships are not real they are fake. They can seem like friendships and even have some of the characteristics of genuine friendships except for one thing, it's usually one sided. Here I was with my "friend" and he would call me only when he needed something, or when his girlfriend (for the moment) wasn't available. Then he would turn to good old reliable me. And like a fool I allowed that foolishness to go on for years. You have to be able to tell the difference between faux and genuine. Faux means imitation or artificial and that's what you may be experiencing if you find your "friend" is contributing less to the ship then you are. He or she may call every once in a while and only when in need of money, encouragement or comfort. They may not be able to handle when your going through and will rush off when you call or be unavailable at crucial moments. If you find that is the case in your situation then I would like to say abandon ship immediately! Don't waste another moment of your precious time on something that is not real but imitation. You deserve better, heck I deserved better and so I jumped ship in the middle or maybe it was the last of the journey and though the swim home was long and a little lonely it was well worth it. Now when I encounter potential friends I make sure that they are actually genuine friends and not faux in disguise the minute I scent a hint of fakeness, I stop, drop and row the other way. My life and time is too valuable to be wasting it with artificial when the real deal is just out there waiting to be discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment